9 Tips for Keeping Your Home Safe for the Holidays
December 22, 2022 | real estate
With the holidays fast approaching, many of us are busy decking the halls, hosting gatherings and exchanging gifts. While safety may not be top-of-mind when making your holiday plans, it is essential. Check out the tips and reminders below to protect yourself, your home and your loved ones this year, and keep your holidays merry and bright.
- Make sure fire extinguishers, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order.
- Schedule inspections and cleanings for chimneys, HVAC systems, boilers, furnaces and radiators to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and indoor air pollution that can irritate the lungs.
- Keep live Christmas trees hydrated, blow out candles and turn off space heaters when unattended.
- Even though Scrooge wouldn’t do it, protect visitors big and small by installing electrical outlet covers and removing tripping hazards, like loose cords or rugs.
- When freezing temperatures hit, remember the three “Ps”: wrap external house pipes, cover outdoor plants, and protect pets by bringing them indoors or providing warm shelter.
- Use caution when decorating or maintaining your home. Implement the buddy system when using a ladder and avoid overreaching. If it snows, shovel driveways and steps carefully.
- Expecting a delivery? Who isn’t this time of year? While it’s best to be home to collect packages when they arrive, you can arrange to have them held at the local FedEx, UPS, USPS, or other carrier to pick up at your convenience. Just be sure to lift packages properly.
- When browsing or shopping online, maintain good cyber hygiene to protect your funds. Be on the lookout for holiday scams and follow these tips from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for avoiding them.
- If you plan to travel this year, keep your home safe from intruders and damage while you’re away. Check out these pointers for protecting your home any time of year.
Whatever your plans, we at Surety Title wish you a happy, healthy and safe holiday season.
8 Common Title Problems & How Title Insurance Can Help
January 31, 2023 | title, real estate
Pro Tips for Closing on a Home
November 18, 2022 | title, real estate
Do You Have a Home Evacuation Plan?
September 13, 2022 | real estate